Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo

I am currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas on the iBook app on my iPhone and iPad. Reading books the iBook is such a breeze and it has now become my favorite companion to pass my time. Anyway this post is not about the iBook or the iPad for that matter but probably I shall in my next post.

This post is about the Count of Monte Cristo, for those who have not read it before I highly recommend that you do. I feel that Dumas is such a great writer that all his characters in the book come alive in front of you as you read. You can't help but empahize with Dantes when he was cruelly dealt with injustice, you feel the joy of his learning when he met the abbe. I just wish I could write like the master storyteller that Dumas is.

From time to time I would encounter some classic lines from the book and I would like to share them with you. Here is the first one, an extract from a chapter detailing the time when Dantes was rescued by some smugglers after he escaped:

Moreover, it is possible that the Genoese was one of those shrewd persons who know nothing but what they should know, and believe nothing but what they should believe

How true it is indeed that some can live their life wisely by knowing only what they need to know and when not to meddle in the affairs of others!

No comments:

Post a Comment