Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The less traveled road

From the first time I was introduced to this poem during my college days it has always been one of my favorite. Written by Robert Frost, perhaps his finest - the author wrote this poem about his walks in the woods with his friend. During these walks, his friend will always wonder what they have missed by not taking other paths they encountered.

To me, this poem always represent the choices that life presents to us - not necessary there will be a right or wrong choice, but always an existence of a choice.  Some may regret that they can't choose all the choices that present themselves, and there's always a dilemma on whether the choice yet to be made is a right or wrong choice. We are always afraid of choosing the wrong one (and some took too much time to choose!). And then we realize that we have to make choices, whether we like it or not and the choices that we make are always justified by our own reasoning and perhaps to a certain extend - logic. But is our choices the rights ones or the wrong ones? We probably think that the one we chose are the most attractive one amongst the rest - but is it true over the time?  

When I was first exposed to this poem I thought that it is a form of advocation of non-conformist attitude, but as I grew - what this poem really means to me is that we have choices in life - which is great.

So is the sigh mentioned in the poem a sigh of satisfaction or merely a sigh of regret? Food for thought - hope you like the poem as much as I do.




The Road Not Taken (Robert Frost)


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Champasak, Laos (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment