Saturday, January 1, 2011

New year, old friends

As I sat in a restaurant in a mall near my home I am contemplating what would be the first post of the year would be about. Then I thought about my friend's request the day before to write about how we celebrated the last day of 2010 and ushered in the new year. To be forthright, as a matter of fact our celebrations yesterday was nothing exceptional to say the least. In fact looking at it you might call it downright mundane for a new year's celebrations - dinner, no countdown, few minutes of fireworks (which we don't even know there is one until it happened) and of course poker session till late at night.

Not even close to the top of list.

As we ushered in the new years it brought in many changes as well. Our celebrations soon consists of new faces - new friends, partners, spouses and children. 2011 would be no exception, already we are expecting a new bundle of joy for our group due in February and I myself would be soon getting married a few months later.

One of the great things why we celebrate the arrival of new year is it marks a time of our life where we can leave unwanted pasts from the previous year and renew our hopes for better things to come. It is a milestone for some, one year older, another year we have been married or another year that we have been friends. It is also a time for a kindly reminder that some things probably would never change. It's still the eccentric behaviour of one of us ( we are starting to lose hope that he might ever change ), he is still late for appointments, and I am still pissed with him for being not punctual, and one of us is still occasionally moody.

Although the years might roll by and certain changes and additions might come along, there are however a few that remain unchanged. Good friends remain, some people that you can depend for company and when you most need it, someone that you can rely on. Like familiar saying goes, it's not where you go but the company that you keep that makes it count Here's to 2011 and many more mundane new years to come, so long that it is celebrated with dear friends.

To old friends and to new beginnings.

I have been commissioned to write this, so when we say commissioned it means that I should be getting paid to write this. JJ please take note!



1 comment:

  1. Noted.
    I will increase my performance and numbers of stars of my reliability and punctuality..
    btw it was not that u had been commissioned but rather than u had been compromised..
    by LapSap..
    Great.. I like the way how my new year getting started..
    Happy New Year..
    "Anyone can be a great hero but How many and who can actually be the true noble winner?"

    By
    JJ
    `01 01 01

    ReplyDelete